Delhi is the national capital and the second largest city in India. It is the center of power, judiciary, legislative and executive of the Government of India.
Delhi is one of the continuously inhabited capitals in the world. The city is one of the fastest growing hubs for entertainment, healthcare, professional services, education and business activities.
Delhi is one of the largest cities in the world. So, it is a very difficult for any tourist to visit the whole city in a few days. You just need to create your plan and follow it. The city has everything a tourist require such as museums, historical places, forts, shopping malls, theme parks, gardens, traditional markets, religious places and others.
- Rashtrapati Bhavan: It is the official residence of the President of India. The world famous Mughal Garden is located in the house and it opens for all on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
- Jama Masjid: It is the largest mosque in India. A historical place, located in the opposite of the Red Fort, next to Chandani Chowk in Old Delhi. Please try to avoid guide tour in the Jama Masjid, the most of them will overcharge you. You can visit the masjid without paying anything. Although, you will charged Rs. 300 if you have a camera with you.
- The Red Fort: It was the centre of power for nearly 200 years, untill 1857. It was the official residence of the Mughal emperor of India.
- Akshardham Temple Delhi: One of the largest Hindu temples in Delhi, located off National Highway 24 in East Delhi.
- India Gate: It is a war memorial, located on the Rajpath in New Delhi. It was formerly known as the All India War Memorial.
- Nizamuddin Dargah: It is one of the most visited sacred places in India by the Muslims. The dargah is dedicated to the world famous Sufi saint, Nizamuddin Auliya. The dargah is located in the Nizamuddin West, Delhi.
- Nehru Park: It is one of the largest parks in New Delhi. It is located in Chankayapuri, lying in the southwest.
- Qutub Minar: It is one of the oldest monuments in Delhi, which was the tallest skyscraper in the world when it was built. The permission is strictly prohibited in the tower itself. However, you can pay Rs. 10 per five minute to view the scenery via a little webcam on top.
- Janpath and Tibetan Market: The market is famous in Delhi to buy Indian artifacts, cheap jewelry, hippy clothing, paintings, Indian handicrafts, leather work and shoes.\
- Khan Market: It is located in the South New Delhi and not much far from the India Gate. Shoppers can buy the traditional Ayurvedic food, lamps, Ayurvedic cosmetics, branded clothes, books and the tailored clothes.
- Chandni Chowk: It is the most popular shopping district in Delhi. You can buy traditional fabrics, jewelry and branded electronic goods. Do not forget to taste the stree food of Chandni Chowk.
- Sunder Nagar: It is located off Mathura Road in the central New Delhi. Shoppers can buy antiques, textiles, silver jewelry, carpets and art.
Delhi has a large number of hotels from low-budget to high-budget (luxury hotels). You can find hotels in each part of the city. Please check the hotel reviews before the final booking.
- Hyatt Regency Delhi: Ring Road, Bhikaiji Cama Place Tel. 011 2679 1234
- Taj Palace Hotel: 2, Sardar Patel Marg, Palika Vihar, Diplometic Enclave, Chanakyapuri Tel. 011 2611 0202
- Taj Mahal Hotel: 1 Mansingh Road Tel. 011 6656 6162
- The Ashok: 50-B Chanakayapuri Tel. 011 2611 0101
- Leela Palace: New Moti Bagh, Diplomatic Enclave, Chanakyapuri Tel. 011 3933 1234
- ITC Maurya: Diplomatic Enclave, Sardar Patel Marg Tel. 011 2611 2233
- Sheraton New Delhi: District Centre, Saket Tel. 011 4266 1122
- Oberoi Hotel: Dr Zakir Hussain Marg Tel. 011 2436 3030
- The Imperial: Janpath Lane, Connaught Place Tel. 011 2334 1234
- The Grand (Formerly the Grand Hyatt): Vasant Kunj – Phase II, Nelson Mandela Road Tel. 011 2677 1234
- Le Meridien: No.8 Windsor Place, Janpath, Connaught Place Tel. 011 2371 0101
- Radisson Blu: Plot No:D, District Centre, Paschim Vihar, Outer Ring Road Tel. 011 4639 9999
- Hotel Ananda: Shop No-8/41, WEA, Near Jessa Ram Hospital, Abdul Aziz Rd, Ghaffar Market, Karol Bagh Tel. 098711 62766
- Maya’s Nest: C2 Flat 2038 Vasant Kunj Tel. 098116 01053
- Ashiana Hotel: 50 Ara Kashan Road, Ram Nagar Tel. 011 2362 7617
- Hotel Durga International: 8715, D.B. Gupta Road, Pahar Ganj Tel. 011 2352 1362
- India Luxury Homes: S 504 Greater Kailash I Tel. 099 9988 8666
- New Haven Hotel: E – 512, Greater Kailash Part-2, Main Road Tel. 09910024700
- Hotel Sunstar Residency: 8A/50, W.E.A. Channa Market, Karol Bagh Tel. 011 2585 3688, 011 2585 3689
- Hotel Ivory Palace: 14A/27, Channa Market, West Extension Area, Karol Bagh Tel. 011 25811192
- Hare Rama Guest House: T-298, Main Bazar, Opposite Khanna Talkies, Pahar Ganj Tel. 011 41541066
- Vivek: 1534-50 Main Bazaar, Paharganj Tel. 011 23512900
- City Inn Deluxe: 5415-16, Ladoo Ghati, Nehru Bazaar, Paharganj Tel. 011 23587706
- Sai Palace: Opp. Railway Station, Paharganj
Delhi is relatively a safe city in India but recent crimes made it unsafe for women. It is advised not to travel alone in the night, radio taxi is the safe option. Do not trust strangers, in an emergency dial 100 for police. You will find that some officers are rude and helpful but some are also helpful and non-corrupt.
India has maintained good relations with all the countries around the world. The large number of embassies is located in the city. The most of the embassies are located in Chanakyapuri, New Delhi.
- UAE: EP-12, Chander Gupta Marg, Chanakyapuri. Tel.: +91-11-26872937
- Russia: Shantipath, Chanakyapuri. Tel.: +91-11-26110640, 26110641, 26873802, 26110565
- France: 2/50-E Shantipath, Chanakyapuri. Tel.: +91-11-24196100
- Brazil: 8 Aurangzeb Road. Tel.: +91-11-3017301
- Greece: EP-32, Dr. S. Radhakrishnan Marg, Chanakyapuri. Tel.: +91-11-26880700-4
- USA: Shantipath, Chanakyapuri. Tel.: +91-11-24198000
- Switzerland: Nyaya Marg, Chanakyapuri. Tel.: +91-11) 26878372, 26878534
- Saudi Arabia: 2, Paschimi Marg, Vasant Vihar. Tel.: +91-11-26144102, 26144073, 26144083
- Spain: 12, Prithviraj Road, Chanakyapuri Extension. Tel.: +91-11-41293000
- Austria: EP-13, Chandergupta Marg, Chanakyapuri. Tel.: +91-11-24192700
- Afghanistan: Plat No. 5, Block 50F, Shantipath, Chanakyapuri. Tel.: +91-11-24100412
- Netherlands: 6/50 F, Shanti Path, Chanakyapuri. Tel.: +91-11-24197600
- Turkey: N 50 Nyaya Marg Chanakyapuri. Tel.: +91-11-24101921, 26889053
- Thailand: 56-N, Nyaya Marg, Chanakyapuri. Tel.: +91-11-26118103, 26118104
- Egypt: 1/50m, Niti Marg, Chanakyapuri. Tel.: +91-11-26114096/7
- Czech Republic: 50-M Niti Marg, Chanakyapuri. Tel.: +91-11-26110205, 26110318, 26110382, 26886218, 26889225
- Belgium: 50-N, Shantipath, Chanakyapuri. Tel.: +91-11-42428000
- Mexico: C-8 Anand Niketan. Tel.: +91-11-24117180, 24117181, 24117182, 24117183
- Kuwait: 5A Shanti Path, Chanakyapuri. Tel.: +91-11-46007710
- Indonesia: 50-A, Chanakyapuri Kautilya Marg. Tel.: +91-11-26118642-46
- Algeria: E 6/5 Vasan Vihar, Tel. +91-11-2614-6706, 2614-7036
- Angola: 5, Poorvi Marg Vasant Vihar, Vasant Vihar, Tel. +91-11-26146195, 26146197
- Argentina: A-2/6 Vasant Vihar, Tel. +91-11-4166-1982-86
- Armenia: D-133, Anand Niketan, Tel. +91-11-24112851/52
- Azerbaijan: 8 Golf Links, Tel. +91-11-24652228
Delhi is the national capital, hence major mobile operators have license to operate in Delhi.
- Bharti Airtel
- IDEA Vodafone
Article last re-published on December 11, 2019.